Friday, September 13, 2013

Leadership Workshop (Summer 2013) by Katie

Last week, the troop gathered in Mrs. Donna's house to complete a workshop on leadership and general useful life skills. We focused on subjects like how to work in a group, how to plan for the future, how to talk to people you've never met before, how to get a real job (including application and interview processes) and even looked at a college application. To go with each section, we did an activity to put what we were learning into action. For example, when we talked about getting a real job, we had the opportunity to interview each other with questions commonly asked to high school students during interviews.
The section that I got the most out of was the networking and talking to strangers section. I've never really liked greeting people, and I found it easier to just wait for people to approach me. However, we went over a lot in this section that I found pretty helpful! Our activity was to pretend that our leaders were leaders we had never met at a service meeting. We introduced ourselves with an elevator speech, tying us into the event. It gave me a pretty good idea of what to expect for when we actually go out and do so, and it gave me the confidence to try out those techniques in other places as well.

Left to right: Katie, Selina, Coumbah, Lizzy, Rosie, Emma, Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment