Friday, May 23, 2014

Family Farm in Iceland by Brittany

Ok, you're not going to believe this. First off, we were invited to tour the American embassy in Iceland (this is not my article's focus, so I'm not going to spend time on it. Emma's article will be discussing this in further detail.) Second, the people at the embassy hooked us up with a local farm that is willing to let us visit and tour around!! The family raises sheep, dogs, and show horses. I'm so excited!!

Before I continue, I think it's important for you to know something so that you can understand why I am so excited: I am a total horse nerd. I know so much information about horses, and they are a huge part of my life. I'm just naturally attracted to them. I've been riding at a ranch down the street for about 7 years, and I've had a lot of experience around horses. Riding is one of my favorite activities, especially when I'm on a fast horse. I've worked with horses a lot, and I'm one of the most experienced riders at the ranch (which makes it fun because I get to ride the challenging horses). 
 
So, now that I've mentioned that, let me restate something: This farm raises show horses. See why I'm so excited?? It's going to be amazing to see these horses and get to work with them. Oh, and I forgot one tiny detail: The owners gave us permission to ride the horses!!!! So not only am I going to get to see some of the best horses in Iceland, but I'm going to get to ride the equivalent of a racing thoroughbred!!!! I was already excited to ride horses during our hour-and-a-half trail ride (see Selina's article about the horses of Iceland), since Icelandic horses are different from any other bred you could possibly encounter, but I'm going to get to ride a show horse. Not only am I going to be able to ride a show horse, but I'm going to be able to ride a horse without the restrictions of a beginners trail ride, and I'm very much hoping that the owner gives me permission to ride around and test out the horses' different gaits (speeds). I knew this trip was going to be life changing, but this is going to be the experience of a lifetime!
 
Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment