Thursday, June 12, 2014

Iceland Day 4 - Rock climbing

Hey guys, it’s Emma!

Today we went rock climbing with the sister troop and had a blast.   The first “obstacle” was to repel down a 20-25 foot “cliff”. All the girls did it, and I was about to and started climbing up (after 10 minutes of debating whether it was a good idea or not) and realized it was NOT, so I started climbing down. However, Mrs. Donna and Brittany attempted to talk me into doing it before they allowed me to get off the big rock. We then all went to the next obstacle to climb UP the rock and then let them lower you back to the ground. I went up half way then came back down, went back up all the way and then again all the way.




Then most of our girls tried to start a fire with no success, but then Lizzy got in there, and with her magic started a fire. We then gathered around and had our Scout’s Own Ceremony and put in our ashes from previous campfires that were really special. Then we gave all the girls who were there their gifts of handmade necklaces and bags of candy, even though they had a lot over the previous 3 days. We gave Elvar his gifts of a gift certificate to an outdoorsy store called (in English) OUTLIT and its pretty much where you go to get gear, equipment and clothing for anything from caving to rafting.  We also had gotten him a photography book of Georgia, and an extra necklace. Then one of the girls had to go to a concert for a band from Boston called “The Pixies”.  I have no idea who they are, but they sound really cool.

When we were all done, we went back to the repelling wall and I climbed up with Brittany because I didn’t want to do it the first time because I didn’t want to go by myself. So Elvar hooked up a second rope and Brittany and I went together. So it was going pretty good getting me hooked up, and then we had to go to the very edge of the cliff (wowhoo...) and had to step off it..backwards...It was going really well until my hair started whipping around and then a huge chunk of it got STUCK in my carabiner and I couldn’t move. So Britt had to get off the rock really fast so Elvar could hook up an emergency rope and hooked a handle on to my rope and I had to pull myself up a bit while he pulled my hair out of the hook.. It was...great. When I got to the bottom, I was really proud of myself because I was so afraid of doing it, but still did, even though I chickened out the first time.  I went three more times and had a blast, I am so glad that I did it.
~Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment