Friday, June 6, 2014

Scoot, Scoot, Slide... Scoot, Slide Getting to Iceland and England: The Vision Thing by The Leader

One of the lessons that I have learned is how to create your own reality. Too often, we let the voice in our heads tell us what is possible, and it limits us from where we go in life. One of the lessons I really wanted for all of my girls to learn early in life was how to not limit their visions, and how to make them reality by working together.

When we started the process of our latest adventure 3 years ago, I challenged our girls to dream as big as they could. I admit I was a little scared when the answer was, "Europe!" knowing that there would be a lot of fundraising and responsibilities they would face.

We seem to scoot forward, inch a little forward, slide back - just like climbing up a huge vertical mountain just a few inch at a time, trying to see if this place will hold our weight, pulling our bodies up just a few inches, trying to find a place for another foothold a few inches further... but sometimes having to back track and go down and around a big hole we didn't know was there when we started. 

It would have been much easier if the parents had donated all the money and I planned the trip and told the girls what we were doing. But they would have learned nothing about teamwork, about negotiation, about figuring it out themselves. There have been so many times when the girls came to a tough place and reported they could go no further. Every time I took a deep breath and walked them back to "start" and made them push for their answer. 

The entire trip is a result of their being unreasonable in their dream.

In the process, they have become quite amazing women!

Susan

1 comment:

  1. The girls are so lucky to have a leader like you. By the time they graduate, they will have learned so much and will be incredible, smart, worldly women. I hope you all have an amazing adventure. I look forward to reading about it.

    ReplyDelete